Grooming/Coat Issues

The spot to discuss other clubs.
FosterShep14

Grooming/Coat Issues

Postby FosterShep14 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 am

I'm new here, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question but I didn't see a section for grooming topics.

I have a 2-year-old Red Tri male. Two months ago, he was diagnosed with epilepsy. He's currently on medication and is doing well, but I've noticed that his coat has changed significantly. His coat has gotten extremely fuzzy, as if his undercoat is growing on top of his top coat? It's also changing colors in spots. I've tried doing research on it but haven't had any luck. I will mention that I use a shedding brush on him once a week (I tend to fill up a Walmart bag) and he gets a puppy cut at the groomers in the summer. He also might get a bath a few times a year depending on when he needs one. His coat has always grown back pretty after the puppy cut and the last time he had one was in April. Is this an issue that will correct itself over time or am I just going to have to deal with this as a new normal? I hate it because he's always had gorgeous fur and I'd love to get it back to normal. I should also say that I live in West Virginia and he's an indoor dog, but we do spend quite a bit of time outside. Any advice would be great!

Susanhu

Re: Grooming/Coat Issues

Postby Susanhu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 am

Welcome! (We like pictures and what is your Aussie's name?) see community section for how to post

Hair growth issues could be due to the puppy cut, food, genetics, and environment, or a combination of all of these things.
Susan with Crystal and Dusty and Cody (Collie) and Jesse (Collie)(cats: Teddy and Tara ) in Pittsburgh
with my Danielle, Torbie Cat, my Chelsea, Border Collie-mix and my Jordan, Tabby Cat, and my Candy, Aussie all at the Rainbow Bridge

FosterShep14

Postby FosterShep14 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for the response! His name is Renly. I don't see an option from mobile to add a photo. Currently, he eats a high protein dog food, the brand is escaping me at the moment. Ive considered switching to a raw diet but I haven't had the chance to do the research on it and since he's an indoor dog, i don't know how I feel about him having a raw piece of meat to toss around the kitchen lol what's your suggestion on diet? I feel like I could be doing better, especially now that he's epileptic.

I have an appointment to get him groomed tomorrow. I was considering the puppy cut just because he looks unkept right now but if that's what's causing his coat to mess up, I won't do it anymore.

Susanhu

Postby Susanhu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 am

There are people on the board with way more knowledge on the coat than me. I am hoping one of them chimes in with some good advice for you. Nice name, Renly!
Susan with Crystal and Dusty and Cody (Collie) and Jesse (Collie)(cats: Teddy and Tara ) in Pittsburgh
with my Danielle, Torbie Cat, my Chelsea, Border Collie-mix and my Jordan, Tabby Cat, and my Candy, Aussie all at the Rainbow Bridge

FosterShep14

Postby FosterShep14 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:39 am

This is my boy :grin:

and this is what his coat looks like right now after 30 minutes of brushing :cry:

Susanhu

Postby Susanhu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 am

Is it a furminator type brush that you use? I have never used anything except a regular brush and sometimes a rake for my dogs. I think perhaps the brush is the problem, it is removing the coat, or at least that what it looks like to me.

He's a cutie!

Shalako

Postby Shalako » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:42 pm

That looks like something going on nutritionally and not just an average coat shed. Check the bloodwork for other issues, also ask your vet if there may be some contradiction with the medications used to treat the seizures. Make sure that your vet has investigated the cause of the seizures and eliminated other issues instead of jumping on the epi wagon.
Shelly HollenWood
Shalako Australian Shepherds

ASCA Senior Breeder Judge
http://www.shalakoaussies.com

Return to “Other”