AKC Full Litter Registration

The spot to discuss other clubs.
Luke1

AKC Full Litter Registration

Postby Luke1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 am

Got this in email with my litter registration. So what do you think?
Pros would be:
You would be sure that puppies that were limited are registered as limited
and your kennel name does not get whited out. Which they rarely question
even though they are supposed to deny it if it has been altered. (I changed info
with whiteout and they never questioned it)

"AKC is pleased to announce a new registration option for breeders, Full Litter Offspring Registration. If you are interested in registering all the puppies in this litter to yourself, the fee is only $10 per puppy, a 50% savings off the cost of a traditional dog registration. In addition to the savings, this option also provides you with 1) a way to quickly register all the puppies to yourself, 2) more control over data provided during the registration process, including the ability to select the names of each puppy, 3) the option to purchase discounted pedigrees, and 4) the ability to transfer already-registered puppies to your new owners, a tremendous additional value."

got_agility

Re: AKC Full Litter Registration

Postby got_agility » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:31 am

I wouldn't mind buying an already registered puppy..infact I think it would take away the hassle of sending in the paperwork. As long as I had a say in the registered name or approve what you had in mind I would love doing it this way.

anne jespersen

Postby anne jespersen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 am

Is there still a transfer fee when each puppy is sold?

cadillactaste

Postby cadillactaste » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 am

If the papers could be transfered easily...I can't see future buyers having a problem with it.

We've our bulldogs registered. But I do know of some who never filled their paperwork out and sent it in. Due to they had planned on spaying/neutering their pet. I think it is a sound way to insure that your litter is and always will be... Registered.
~Darlene previously known as "the bulldog lady"... lol
"Ahsoka" - Alias' Send In The Clowns

jltruskey

Postby jltruskey » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:55 am

As someone who would rather name her own dog, especially one I got as a puppy, I don't really like the idea of the breeder registering or naming the puppy. I realize it's breeder's choice whether or not to do so, and it's my choice to say if pre-naming is a deal breaker or not for me.

I wonder if, since many pet buyers do not register their puppies, the breeder will end up with many puppies still registered in his/her name a year or more down the road. I've only transferred ownership of a dog once, and that was to me so the previous 3 co-owners did all the work of mailing the papers around to one another to get signatures. If I'm feeling paranoid, I might wonder what happens if any of those puppies get into trouble with the law. Will the pup being registered in my name come back to haunt me? Or if AR types decide to scope me out, can they find the number of dogs I have registered to me in AKC and use that as ammunition against me?

Is it too early in the morning to be paranoid? Maybe I need coffee.
Judi Truskey
Slash V Radiant Charm STDc RAX (Rory)
Slash V Sand and Steel (Ferrous [Oxide])
Truskey's Kyah CD, RSN, GSN, JSO, W-FD (Kyah) 12-22-1995 to 02-23-2012
http://bucketac.com

Luke1

Postby Luke1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:02 am

Anne, I believe a transfer is $20.00. So the total cost would be $10 for breeder
and $20 for owner. Since many puppies never get registered, I am sure the AKC
is looking to get revenue from all those wasted registration. I am contemplating the
extra $60.00 for me. Is that worth it?

RedEarth

Postby RedEarth » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:23 am

I don't know Judi, I think that's a valid point. Some of the new laws limiting "ownership" could come back to bite you if you register the entire litter to yourself and only a couple bother to transfer. If the law is vague enough to say "ownership" and not "possession" it could be a problem, though I doubt at this point anyway, that it would much of an issue.
And Francine, for me, I don't think it's worth it. If someone is going to breed the dog they can still do it and just not register the puppies. Hope you've fielded the owners enough that this wont be an issue, but we all know things can happen and people can fool us. Registering to yourself doesn't really help you as a breeder to prevent what you are trying to prevent, and all it does is pick up those missed registrations for AKC. The cost really isn't an issue as you can always roll that into the price of the dog, and it's not that much more in the scheme of things when pricing out a litter. I have often thought it would be better to sit down with the puppy buyers at the time of purchase and fill out the papers there together. Have them write the check to the registries and mail it off yourself for them. To me, that's the most sure fire way to make sure the puppies get registered how you want and no money out of your pocket. Just make it part of your sales policy.

Luke1

Postby Luke1 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:35 am

I do think breeders should be able to name the puppies to ensure
their kennel name is on the dog.
My friend had a dog registered with a first name and the owners last
name without the kennel name on the puppy.

And I think there is an Aussie that shows in this area that appears on
programs as "Fred". Yep just plain old Fred.

BWildAussie

Postby BWildAussie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:53 am

I too got my AKC Litter Papers yesterday. I was thinking, as I too love to name my dogs myself, would be to discuss it with the buyer at the time of sale. When I got Vivi, I already had her name picked out and we filled out the paperwork together and mailed it on my way home. I think Sharon had a stamped envelope for me and I just had to include a check.

AKC does allow 1 name change, so if your buyer wants a different name that could be discussed and changed at that time.

It does give some thought though. It is very important to me that both puppies be AKC and ASCA registered, even if it means that I have to pay...
Tanya Barker
Vivi & Laverne

http://bwildaussies.com
http://bwild.smugmug.com

Solo

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 am

It would be good knowing all puppies are registered. However, the 2 I sold on spay contracts were never registered and that turned out to be beneficial to me since one pup was returned at a year old and I just registered her in my name then. The other wound up in rescue(long story that most of you have heard about) so I was able to get duplicate puppy registration forms for her from ASCA and AKC so her new owner could then register her in her name. That worked out great for the new owner, since most rescue dogs have no papers.
Eleanor Bragg
SIXTEEN CEDARS AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERDS
http://www.freewebs.com/sixteencedarsaussies/

ManicMicah

Postby ManicMicah » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm all for this, mainly because I spaced mailing Cohen's AKC paperwork in so now get to pay the crazy amount to have it done at this late date. Would rather have talked out the name with his breeder and had him registered, then just paid to transfer him. I definitely would have been motivated to have him transferred into my name!
-Ashley Eike
Crystalwood's Manic Micah CGC "Micah"
Legends Starn Throttle Up DNA-VP "Cohen"
McVan's Something Wicked JS-N DNA-VP "Salem"

http://www.covalentpetcare.com

Cirrus

Postby Cirrus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 pm

I got this email too and while I think it has merit, I've just learned to take measures to keep this in my hands and avoid issues of any kind.

1. Let people with deposits/whatever know what a theme is, the requirements of naming the puppy (kennel name, alloted letters, etc... maybe a link to AKC/ASCA for rules) and a deadline to get it to you. If they don't have it by X day, then they forfeit the right to name.
2. I don't register the puppies in my name anymore and then transfer. When we sign contracts and exchange monies, I tell them ahead of time that they will need 2 checks or a Credit Card when everything goes down. One to AKC, one to ASCA. We sign the contract, the papers, and I stuff the ASCA and AKC stuff into envelopes and mail it that day (or first available mailing day). I have 8 week stackd pics ready for ASCA and I tell the buyer about the service membership thing as well so there's no confusion.

Papers are done, sent to the new buyers, I'm assured the limited registration was colored out, and so on. It just seemed the simpliest way for everyone. Just being upfront avoids a lot of these issues and standing your ground.

Edit: for puppies that stay at my house (unsold or I'm growing out) I wait until they're 6 months max and then register them.

hsnrs

Postby hsnrs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:56 am

Interesting; I'd thought about doing the same thing. We did the AKC paperwork on line. More expensive but easier and faster. We still have 4 pups out of our last litter so we might do that at 6 months also.

Return to “Other”