Why ARE Breed Clubs/Kennel Clubs Important?

The spot to discuss other clubs.
Sumiso
Site Admin

Why ARE Breed Clubs/Kennel Clubs Important?

Postby Sumiso » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 pm

A few weeks back, i was forced to think about WHY exactly one belongs to a breed club or kennel club. It was kinda a funny mental exercise as I pay my ASC of WA, ASCA and starting next week my Black Sheep dues, but when i was forced to think about *why*... I had to sit down and ponder.

So here's my question to you, Board: Why should a person join a breed club?

So to set the scene: I am a new Aussie owner. My Aussie may or may not be registered... maybe it's a shelter Aussie? Why should *I* join ASCA or USASA?

And lets assume that that I know about the magazines. ;)
Amy, Simon and Molly
"A mentor is someone whose hindsight can become your foresight."

aussieheart

Re: Why ARE Breed Clubs/Kennel Clubs Important?

Postby aussieheart » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:16 pm

I would say because its a good way to learn more about the breed.
To see what is going on in that breeds world.
To maybe connect with other aussie owners, breeders, to help you out with problems or questions or a activity you may want to do with your aussie.
Attis Treasures
Always and Forever in my heart
Kali June 18th 04-June 6th 07

Stitch & Paisley

Postby Stitch & Paisley » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:09 pm

aussieheart wrote:I would say because its a good way to learn more about the breed. To see what is going on in that breeds world. To maybe connect with other aussie owners, breeders, to help you out with problems or questions or a activity you may want to do with your aussie.

Just exactly what I was thinking. And some great new/old friends along the way.
home of
WTCH Broadway's Time of Our Life, DNA-VP, OFTDcs, CDX, RE
WTCH Justus Slim Pickens, DNA-VP, OFTDs, HRDIIIs, RLFIIIs
WTCH Uproar's Crockett, RTDsc, OFTDsc, RN, HRD1s, RLF1s, HTD1s, CGC, TDI

Tapestryaussies.org

Shelly Hollen

Postby Shelly Hollen » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm

I would suggest a person join a local and national breed club for networking and support. Members of breed clubs at any level generally share a like-minded goal to preserve the breed ideal and to share that information with others, however in practice I find that personal interpretations of what "preserve the breed" and what sort of information gets shared can be vastly different and cause all sorts of unwanted friction.

Joining a breed club at the National level can have perks such as reduced registration rates or voting rights that allow individuals to influence the future of the breed. At a local level, it allows you to connect to nearby people and gives inviduals the chance to participate in the number and planning of events near them IF they get off their behinds and volunteer!

Now with all this being stated, I am admittedly no longer a member of any affiliate breed club and haven't been for years. I helped start up two affiliates in Texas and along with a handful of individuals finally burned out because it seemed no one but a very small core group of people ever volunteered to work the actual shows but there were always plenty to do the complaining afterwards. I may rejoin the Texas affiliate clubs again someday but not this year.
Shelly Hollen
Shalako Australian Shepherds
ASCA Senior Breeder Judge

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 am

The Aussie breed clubs here are incredably good.

It is a great way to learn more about the breed and get to know a wide range of different lines without owning them! So you find out what lines you prefer. Without the club I would hardly know any Aussies or what they were like.

Also they show you what the breed can do and encourage you to have a go at different activities with your dogs - to find out more about what the breed can do and how best to train/work them and also see what our own dogs enjoy.

You meet other people at the same stage of Aussie ownership as yourselves so it helps you share experiences and also to pace yourselves and your expectations and achievements. Gives you like minded pople to compete with and experenced people to help you develop no matter what you want to do with your dogs.

I think if you are new to Aussies and have any training or social teething problems how you deal with the issues may cure the problem or make it much worse so again having experts of the breed who know the different Aussie lines and attributes can help you understand your dog better and how best to go about training them. And because you have peope who are showing a genuine interest if gives you motivation as well to keep on trying.

On the whole it makes your breed a hell of a lot more intersting if you look at getting to know it as a breed, why they are as they are etc rather then a general average plod along dog. And it's like having a new family.
RUSTY - AUSSIE- GCG, Pre Beg Ex. ( Agility Champ In His Dreams. )
MOLLIE - AUSSIE- GCG, CD, G5 AW(S) ( reformed greedy gutsy-girl )
HARRIET - BC/WS
JACK - BC/WS [i]( 17/02/01 - 30/12/04 )

Return to “Other”